Profile Picture

PET 2020 Exam Story (B1 Level)

4 years ago
In the new PET exam, you may choose to write a story. Here is an example and some tips on how to get fantastic marks!
Here is a sample question from the Cambridge sample paper.
Question 3
Your English teacher has asked you to write a story.
Your story must begin with this sentence.
As the plane flew lower, Lou saw the golden beaches of the island below.
Write your story.
As the plane flew lower, Lou saw the golden beaches of the island below. (You must start with the sentence stated) Then the plane landed and he was amazed by the heat. (Use adjectives and verbs that express feeling i.e. hate, love, amazed)
After (use signposting expressions i.e. later, after, that night, then, suddenly etc) Lou went to find a taxi. He saw a shiny BMW and decided to take that taxi, the driver was a small old man. "Take me to the Paradise Beach hotel , quick as possible, please" said Lou. (Use direct speech) "Sure!" said the old man.
Suddenly the taxi was going too fast! Lou was terrified! (use extreme adjectives to express feelings i.e. amazed, terrified) The taxi was going too fast and was getting closer and closer to the beach. Boom! The taxi crashed straight into the sea. Lou jumped into the water and screamed at the man "why did you do that!".
The man said, " you said Paradise Beach?". "No, Paradise Beach Hotel," said Lou and started crying.
Remember stories should have a beginning, a middle and an end. Try to use different tenses (past simple, past continuous and past perfect). Use good vocabulary and adjectives.
Good luck and please leave any questions or comments below!