Hi! I'm Alex (31), a certified English teacher working in Mexico. I SPECIALISE IN ACADEMIC ENGLISH, reviewing essays/theses/CVs/documents, pronunciation coaching, and general grammar and conversation practice etc. I really love to teach and I find it an absolute joy to meet new people and to see students progress and succeed in their challenges.
– I have lots of experience teaching privately here in Mexico, in classrooms as well as online online. I have taught all ages and all levels during my career, so whatever your needs I can provide a class tailored for you.
– I was born in Derbyshire in the centre of England, so I have a very neutral British accent and I can inform you about various British accents, as well as other accents found in English internationally.
– I am well-versed in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and I can use this in your classes if you like.
– Teaching in the Americas has given me a unique vantage point for explaining differences between British and American English.
– ¿Su lengua materna es español? ¡Puedo resolver cualquier duda que usted tenga!
**SPECIALISATION: ACADEMIC ENGLISH**
"Alex has assisted me in writing and reviewing scientific articles and in preparing for presentations. He has given me very good guidance in these tasks."
– R. Tovar, Researcher in Fluid Dynamics at the Institute of Renewable Energy, National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
– Are you an international student attending university in an English-speaking country, or just thinking of applying? Let's talk! A particular passion of mine is academic English.
– I have a Master's Degree in Anthropology from an English University, and all the experience of writing essays in English which that brings.
– I have coached students at all levels and from a variety of countries, and have assisted University professors here in México in writing articles for English-language peer review journals.
– If there is one ability as a teacher that I take pride in it's my attention to detail in helping you craft the best sentences and overall structure for your academic work. I will value the quality of your essay as if it were my own!
– I can help you with appropriate paraphrasing and citation from articles that won't get you in trouble for plagiarism.
– I can also teach you about format, referencing and bibliography customs. Having a native speaker with academic experience check your work can make a huge difference!
Granada Centre, University of Manchester - Manchester, United Kingdom
Full title "Visual Anthropology: Ethnographic Documentary with Sensory Media", featuring academic tutelage in the anthropology and phenomenology of art and the senses, as well as hands-on training in the production of documentary film, photography and sound recording.
2009 - 2012
Bachelor of Arts: Social and Economic Studies specialising in Development Studies
University of Manchester - Manchester, United Kingdom
3-year undergraduate degree combining studies focussing on International Development within the departments of Economics, Anthropology, Politics, Sociology, History and Languages.
Teacher of monthly two-hour English language workshops held for groups of 30-60 Middle School teenagers.
2016 - 0
Cuauhnáhuac Institute of Languages and Culture - Cuernavaca, México
2 years experience as an English Teacher providing classes for all ages and levels, from students to professionals, working from the Institute's well-known independent syllabus which focuses on all aspects of grammar, pronunciation, written composition, listening comprehension etc. and features in-depth study of the international phonetic alphabet (IPA).
2017 - 0
Online English Tutor
Cambly - N/A
Autonomous online tutor offering tailored classes ranging in length from 5 to 90 minutes, including grammar instruction, accent coaching, IELTS preparation and advisory classes on academic writing, spoken presentation and other scholarly practices.
2017 - 0
Independent English Language Consultant
N/A - Cuernavaca, México
Consultant of Academic English working privately with Physics faculty from UNAM (National Autonomous University of México) to produce an article for English Language peer review journals on the subject of experimental Fluid Dynamics.